Friday, December 14, 2007

Decision: Is it Real or is it Memorex?

A couple of weeks ago I got together at my house with some folks, and I put the word out that I had no snacks to offer, so if they wanted to munch while they were here, they needed to bring their own snacks.

"I am not a crappy host", but the reason there was no munchy type stuff in the house, is because I had just thrown out everything that wasn't good for me, because I's let my weight get up to 200 pounds -- kinda chunky, albeit loveable, for 5' 6 1/2" ish (I squeeze all the height out that I can without lying), and thus the lab tests from my annual physical revealed some stuff that made my doctor nervous -- all weight related -- and he was kind enough to point out to me in a somewhat graphic fashion the exceptionally painful, potentially deadly existence I was about to enter.

Now, you might think... gosh, Kelvin hit a bit of bad luck, a few things went wrong and he needed some help... Nice try. Fact is, that what Kelvin needed was some discipline. Kelvin knew better, because 5 years ago Kelvin had this problem before and kicked it's butt. I lost nearly 30 pounds in 30 days, and kept it off (plus or minus 2 pounds) for over 3 years, and in the last year or so... I just kinda... slipped (jumped head first?) off the wagon, and reversed nearly ALL the progress I had made, with resultant health consequences. PLUS, I'd just spent $87 on three pairs of dress pants three weeks before, and now I couldn't button them and still breathe? HA ! No.

NOTE: Whether it is success oriented, business, weight loss, runner training, a relationship, or mountain climbing, whatever you did to win that battle and get to your success level, if you stop doing it... you *will* slide back down the pole and have to start over again.

So here I was back at this juncture again, and... I made a decision, and threw away the stuff that wasn't going to help me get to where I need to be, because a decision is not a decision, until you do something to activate it. If you're "gonna do it later," that's not a decision; its' just s wishful thinking. When you make a decision, you must do something immediately to activate it, or your brain knows that you're just kidding, and wont' help you.

And whenever you make a decision, of course, stand by for "the test". When I went to work on Monday a client brought in a BEAUTIFUL chocolate bunt cake -- thick luscious chocolate icing, and when she opened the box lid the aroma permeated ever air molecule in that office, and you could almost taste that cake. I stood there looking it, decorated with sliced almonds... standing on their ends... like little grave stones. Needless to say with the picture in mind, resisting the cake was (heh heh) a piece of cake :-) and guess what?! I lost 6 pounds in under two weeks since I made that decision, and those pants fit now... and I look *goooood* in them (smiling). But I'm not back to my weight target yet, so I do not relent until I'm done.

So when you make a decision, is it real? or is it Memorex. Do you act on it? or just talk about it ?

Make a decision. It does a body good.

Kelvin

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

oh, how lucky can a girl get. end my night with a "conversation" with you and wake up with a thought from you. yes, it is a new day & i am refreshed & revitalized. thank you. thank you. thank you. for your humor, your time to share thoughts and your friendship. luv ya. nat