Tuesday, January 29, 2008

I'm Kelvin. I Solve Problems

I hold a position at a medical facility as an administrative assistant. The job has meant different things in different years, but one thing has remained constant over that period. Excluding patient care stuff, many times when there's been a problem that needed handling, the answer to the question of "how can we handle this?" has often been, "Ask Kelvin." I used to call myself the "shell answer man" of admin assistants, but a while back a practitioner I worked with asked me if I'd ever seen the movie "Pulp Fiction?" As luck would have it... the answer was "no, why?" She said, "You're like that guy in Pulp Fiction. 'I'm Winston Wolfe. I solve problems.' She said, "your name is Kelvin; you solve problems."

I liked that, although based on what little I know of the movie, I don't solve "that" kind of problem. But, all in all and in a growing number of circles, when something needs to be done, someone often says, "Ask Kelvin."

Why is that? Well, it's not that I'm so smart, but I do know how to find answers. And most answers come directly after I've asked a question. And anyone can ask a question, right?

Of course, sometimes it helps to know who to ask, and if you don't know who to ask, that becomes the first question: "Who do I know who might be able to answer this question, or point me to someone who can? "

Never underestimate the power of a simple question. It's how Einstein came up with the Theory of Relativity, and the first step in being able to say, "I solve problems."

If you'd like more positive, upbeat, motivating and uplifting food for thought, visit our full edition of Ramblings at www.ringold.net/ramblings.html.

Have an awesome day.

Kelvin

No comments: